Monday, January 10, 2011

Phonemic Awareness

We use a phonemic awareness program called Phonemic Awareness: The Skills That They Need to Help Them Succeed! written by Dr. Michael Heggerty. http://www.literacyresourcesinc.com/about/. We've used this curriculum for three years now, with great success.

Resources for Phonemic Awareness Instruction....

All documents contain fonts that are copyright DJ Inkers. Virtually all documents contain graphics that are copyright DJ Inkers. They are used with permission. Please visit http://www.djinkers.com/, for wonderful clipart and fonts.


Letter Packs
Heggerty Letter Packs

Elkonin Boxes
Elkonin Boxes

ABC Charts
This chart I use with small groups. We usually sing it...apple apple /a/ /a/ /a/ and so forth. Students also have to practice tracking with their finger.
ABC Mat


This chart usually goes into their Fluency Bag for reference.
Alphabet Chart


Rhyming Cards
Rhyming Cards

Rhyming Bingo
Rhyming Bingo

Stretchy the Word Snake
Stretchy the Word Snake

Making Words Mat
To build words as a class I bought these awesome Word Building Tiles from Lakeshore Learning http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/p%7C845524441765416~~f%7C/Assortments/Lakeshore/ShopByCategory/teacherresources/viewall.jsp. I bought enough for everyone and then numbered them. To organize them, I bought slider pencil cases.
product imageHands-On Word Building Teaching Kit
The best part...I bought them a week before school at Office Max for a penny each! I numbered the cases, as well. Each student gets a case with letters and a making words mat. I have students sort their letters (time consuming at first, but by January, they are pros). I also sort and build on the overhead. This is easily one of my favorite purchases of the last few years!
Making Words Mat

Picture Sorts (Beginning Sounds)
When I first introduce picture sorts, I have students take a sheet of construction paper and fold it in half, then they draw a line down the center.

We usually do beginning sound picture sorts as a group before I move them into our center time.
Beginning Sounds Picture Sorts

No comments:

Post a Comment