Tuesday, September 27, 2011

They Do the Mash...

Oh my goodness, I don't think I've been more tired than I feel around 2PM, no kidding! I am not a good sleeper and I never nap...and the 3rd trimester is here :-)


In other news, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my new Kinder-Hoppers!!! As of tomorrow, I have 22 little smiling faces and they couldn't be any cuter or lovable. I will be honest though, having a student teacher is quite challenging for me. First, I am a girl on the go, almost always at full throttle....I am perfect for the five and six year old crowd (so I am finding it somewhat difficult to just sit and watch) and secondly, I am a bit of a control freak (I like my classroom to be organized a certain way and I obsessed with making sure my students get what they need academically). I am learning a lot and hopefully growing in the process. I am finding some time to create more, but my pregnancy brain is creating a bit of a creativity block. So....are y'all ready for this....I am working on Halloween and Fall activities right now and I am taking requests. I won't guarantee that all ideas will be created, but I will definitely try my best. Just email me a description and whether it should be an in color center/whole group activity or a black and white printable.


On to the goods! We do a mini monster unit in October. I don't have a ton of stuff for it, but what I have...I offer to you. I hope there are things that you can utilize in your classroom, and I truly hope to inspire you to share your creativity and materials with others! Show some love if you download....comments can be left at the bottom of any post if you have a google/gmail account (for those of you who keep emailing me) :-)


Enjoy!!
Shannon


All documents contain fonts that are copyright DJ Inkers. Virtually all documents contain graphics that are copyright DJ Inkers. They are used with permission. Please visit http://www.djinkers.com/, for wonderful clipart and fonts.


Books We Love
Leonardo, the Terrible Monster (Ala Notable Children's Books. Younger Readers (Awards)) Go Away, Big Green Monster! There's a Nightmare in My Closet Where the Wild Things Are If You're A Monster And You Know It I Need My Monster There Was An Old Monster!The Monster at the End of this Book (Sesame Street) (Big Little Golden Book)


Literacy Goods (sorry there just isn't much!)
ABC Monsters is a printable that has students practicing writing lower case letters alphabetically.
ABC Monsters


The Monster Sounds Go Fish is in order for those Jolly Phonics users out there! They don't have to be used for Go Fish of course.
Monster Sounds Go Fish


A printable. Students print the missing sounds in the appropriate box. The second page is for your little over-achievers!
Monster Middles (Beginning Sounds)


A little book to help with color word recognition, tracking print, and basic sight words.
See the Monsters Little Book


Math Goods
The sequencing cards are great for whole group, small group, and center instruction time.
Monster Number Sequencing Center Cards 1-20


These cards are the printable after using the cards above. Students color, cut, and glue the numbers in order on a sentence strip. I have all the way to 20 even though it says 12 to help differentiate.
Monster Number Sequencing 1-12


Number cards for matching.
Monster Number Memory Game


A center or whole group activity. Print out on cardstock and laminate for durability. Students find the hat match for each monster....that's right, in my world, monsters should be wearing hats.
Monster Number Matching


I love doing this graph! It always comes out the same, almost all the boys say they aren't afraid, but after discussing it more thoroughly...in the end, they fess up...super cute!
Are You Afraid of Monsters Graph


We also make some super cute Big, Green Monsters. We discuss symmetry. Students get an 11x18 sheet of black construction paper and we fold it in half (I let students choose whether they want to fold it vertically or horizontally), then we put green paint down the center of the fold. We re-fold it and press it down. Let it dry and then we use these pieces to create our monsters...http://www.kizclub.com/storypatterns/monster.pdf

A kooky little song to go with If You're a Monster and You Know It... http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/book.jsp?id=1312582

No comments:

Post a Comment