Saturday, March 19, 2011

Cue the Banjo's....We're Going to the Farm

Let me shout it from the rooftops...I cannot wait for Spring Break!!! We've got one more week and believe me when I say the Hoppers are in need of some time off. It has been one long winter! Don't get me wrong...I love my kids and teaching, but I have been on edge this week. I am on meds that give me headaches and make me irritable. I am trying soooo hard to be the teacher I normally am, but it's rather difficult right now. I just don't feel in control of myself. I just keep swimming and tell myself that this too shall pass.


After Spring Break, we will dive into all things Farm. I LOVE doing a farm unit! There are so many wonderful activities, songs, and books that I get totally consumed in it. We begin the unit with Oviparous Animals and then just go from there. I've added some chick and egg worksheets, but I thought why create a separate post, so they are included here. You will see that books and activities are not really "farm" per se that is because I am easily side tracked...IE- we start talking about pigs and the next thing you know we do a mini unit on The 3 Little Pigs.


I'm not sure what is going on with Scribd...the pictures don't look very good on here, but I did go through and click on them, they seem to be fine once you go to Scribd.


I hope you find things that you can use! Maybe this post will get me to 200 followers...A*MAZING!
 Enjoy!
Shannon


All documents contain fonts that are copyright DJ Inkers. Virtually all documents contain graphics that are copyright DJ Inkers. They are used with permission. Please visit http://www.djinkers.com/, for wonderful clipart and fonts.


Books we read
I normally find pictures to post here; however, I do the farm unit for almost an entire month...there are just too many books to find all the pictures! I am going to list them out, and I am positive that I will forget many! Forgive me :-) Also, upon further inspection of my book list, it seems as though I am a tad heavy on the pigs...I may need to adjust this at some point.
  • Mrs. Wishy Washy
  • Big Red Barn
  • Charlotte's Web (we are going to read this throughout April)
  • Junie B. Jones has a Peep in her Pocket
  • Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type
  • Chicken Little
  • Rosie's Walk
  • The Little Red Hen
  • The Three Little Pigs
  • Alaska's Three Pigs
  • Three Cajun Pigs
  • The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig
  • The True Story of the Three Little Pigs
  • Barnyard Banter
  • The Three Billy Goats Gruff
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze
  • All the books in the Weekly Reader Series: Animals that Live on the Farm
  • Farm Animals
  • Inside a Barn in the Country
  • All the farm books in the DK Series: See How They Grow
  • Olivia
  • Pigs in the Mud in the Middle of the Rud
  • One Stuck Duck
  • Sheep in a Jeep
  • Tops and Bottoms
  • Farmer Duck
  • Barnyard Hullabaloo
  • A Seed is Sleepy
  • Growing Vegetable Soup
The Literacy Goods

Blends and Digraph Farm Sort


Little Red Hen Sight Word Scramble Worksheet

For the Spin, Read, and Write, I give each student a paperclip and a sharpened pencil to use as their spinner. It saves a ton of time versus the paper fastener and paperclip.
Spin, Read, Write -ig Word Family Game

3 Little Pigs Vowel Matching

Look at the Farm !

This is our Farm Journal. Every few days at the beginning of the unit, we focus on something specific on a farm. Students then write what they know about on the corresponding page.
Farm Jounal

Animals on the farm

Eggs-cellent Words Worksheet

The template for the Sight Word Uno Game came from Kelly's Kindergarten. Love her games!http://kellyskindergarten.com/Games/GamestoMake/games_to_make.htm
Sight Word Farm Uno Color Version

The Math Goods
Tops and Bottoms Numbers


To play Roll, Count, and Color: students use 2 dice or Dice in Dice (we are going to use the Dice in Dice).
Dice In Dice Tub
They roll, count, and then color one of the corresponding eggs.
Roll, Count, and Color Hen & Eggs

Farm Patterns

The Charlotte's Web Counting by 2's is similar to the President's Day strips we made in February. Students color, cut, and glue the pieces to a sentence strip. We use these as we sing Jack Hartmann's Counting by 2's.

Charlottes Web Counting by 2's

Spin and Graph Farm Spinner

Farm Spin and Tally Sheet

No comments:

Post a Comment